A 600FT VICTORIAN PIER
BUILT IN 1894 AS A FERRY DOCK, CONNECTING SHOTLEY TO HARWICH & FELIXSTOWE.
A civilian pier formally owned by Marquess of Bristol whose family seat was Ickworth House. Local people used to catch the row-boat ferry across to Harwich. The pier was a toll pier and paying the toll paid for the boat trip.
A great piece of Navel history, the pier is where HMS Ganges was berthed on first arriving at Harwich at the very beginning of the 20th century.
A community group purchased the pier to make it into a working attraction where people can stroll, fish, and enjoy the amazing views down the Stour and across to Harwich and Felixstowe docks.