A 600ft Victorian pier – Under Offer
Bristol Pier built in 1894 as a landing stage for a ferry from Shotley to Harwich and Felixstowe.
A civilian pier formally owned by Marquess of Bristol whose family seat was Ickworth House, from which local people used to catch the row-boat ferry across to Harwich. The pier was a toll pier and paying the toll paid for the boat trip.
A great piece of Navel history, the pier was built in the back-end of the 19th century and this is where HMS Ganges was berthed on first arriving at Harwich at the very beginning of the 20th century.
The Future of the Pier
A community group has been set up to purchase the pier to carry out remedial repairs to the superstructure, and then make the pier itself into a working attraction where people can stroll, fish, and enjoy the amazing views down the Stour and across to Harwich and Felixstowe docks. To find out more please visit www.shotleypier.co.uk